Incandescent Candle Safety Advice
There’s a special beauty and tranquility to candles and many people benefit from the calming effects of both the candle and our beautiful aromas. But a lighted candle is also an open flame and could be the source of ignition if used carelessly.
Please advise your customers on the safe use of candles and how they can be enjoyed without incident in the home.
Our Top 3 Candle Safety Advice:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets
Additional and More Detailed Safety Advice:
Thanks to the UK Fire Service for providing this additional information:
- Always put candles on a heat-resistant surface - our metal lids make the perfect mats for the candles to be placed onto.
- Position them away from curtains. Don’t put candles near curtains or other fabrics – or furniture.
- Keep candles out of draughts.
- Don’t put them under shelves - it is easy to forget that there’s a lot of heat above a burning candle. Always ensure a minimum distance of 3 feet (1 metre) between a candle and any surface above it.
- Keep clothes and hair away - ensure that your candle is positioned in such a way that you cannot/will not need to lean over it.
- Keep candles apart - leave at least four inches (10cm) between two burning candles.
- Avoid moving a candle while lit - always extinguish candles before moving them.
- Never go to sleep with a candle still burning.
- Use a snuffer to put them out, that is far safer than blowing them - our metal lids are perfect for snuffing candles.
- Always double-check your candle is completely out.